Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday- Our last working day

I can't believe our last working day in Haiti has come and gone. The hours go very slowly here but the days have flown, if that makes sense. We held our last clinic at a safe house for women who have been raped. Not all of our patients were recent victiums. So we did treat colds, worms, jammed fingers, stab wounds, etc. Canadian Cindy work with me today doing exams. We had a good day together. Our one super sad story was a 20 year old women with a 3 year old. She had been beaten and raped by five men with guns in November. She had been walking home with her grandmother, daughter and another family member when they were attacked. All the adults were beaten with rifles and then the raped out patient in front of her family. How does a 3 year old even begin to process seeing something so horrific done to her mom? I will never understand this kind of brutality. What will it take for all humans to have humanity? - Kerry.******************* I haven't blogged for awhile. I have been enjoying everyones company. I am now decompressing with a wee orphan chick that Johanna had try to get the other mom rooster to adopt in my lap. It has been a very rewarding week. This team works well together. I have enjoyed every role I have done. I really like working with Fatima, it is soooo nice to have an ARNP to make most the hard decisions. She is so excellent. I can't believe we had two NP's on this team. They are both phenomenal. I could go on for hours about how much this group is wonderful to work with. They make me laugh so hard. It has also been great hanging with global dirt Sarah and getting to know her better. todays biggest memory is the 15 year old 8 months pregnat lady i did a sonograph on. She didn't have a plan on what she will do when she goes into labor. I am pretty sure she was a victim of rape but did not ask.......I did some massages on people and made them smile and feel better even for a brief moment. I am sad this week is coming to an end but know I will be back to Haiti again. Evie############# Today Kayla and I worked in pharmacy. We were a well organized oiled machine! The patients we saw today seemed a little more nourished than some of the people in the tent camps, but still saw some people who appeared to have very little. I can't believe how fast the week has gone by. Haiti and the people here have really grown on me. I'm glad I came to Haiti for this medical mission. It has been an experience I will never forget. As much as I have loved most of the food we've eaten, I've been craving vegetables (shocking, I know!) and I can't wait to have a green salad. ~~~Jenna I worked in the assessment area with one of the Nurse Practitioners today. It was a rewarding day. I didn't want to pry too much into any of these people's lives because intimate details of a person's own rape or assualt seem like something they should offer. We saw a 30 year old woman who stated she couldn't feel her right hand. She shared with us that she had been attacked by 6 men with knives about 1 month ago. She had horrific scars on her arms and back. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do for this poor woman except comfort her and tell her she didn't deserve this kind of brutality. This trip has been a great learning experience for me...I have learned more about myself and a lot about Haiti and Haitian culture! I am glad I took this opportunity. *****Elise****** PS all the other gals are alive but just tired. They all say hello. Our exciting news today was that Sarah informed us we treated between 1000 and 1100 people this week! Just look at what 10 motivated women can do in a week, imagine if we had more....

No comments:

Post a Comment