Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 2- Tent City clinic day

Today we went to a tent camp in Port-au-Prince, approximately 35,000 people. Today we saw approximately 200 men, women, and children in 5 hours. I was assigned to pharmacy today. After patients were screened at triage, they were either sent to be examined and/or to receive medications. Medications were given for symptom relief of chronic illnesses and also for acute conditions requiring antibiotics. There were many babies brought in, some of whom received de-worming medications. We will be returning to the same tent camp tomorrow. - Jenna_____________________________________________ Until today, our group of nurses hadn't seen much extreme poverty here. As Jenna stated, we visited a tent camp in downtown Port-Au-Prince. I had no idea what to expect prior to our departure as "tent camp" seems quite vague. The living conditions in this community are devastating; their homes are made of scrap metal and look as though they could fall over at any moment. I worked in the pharmacy area with Jenna and our day seemed quite chaotic! We had to reconstitute antibiotics for patients--something I clearly take for granted in my every day job at Children's. The line of people seemed endless, and navigating all of the medications on their list was overwhelming, to say the least. While we had what seemed like a large supply of medications and syringes, our supplies didn't last. It was a difficult day for me, mostly because it's easy to get pessimistic about what little we are able to do with our limited supplies and resources. I need to keep reminding myself that, if nothing else, we gave these patients the opportunity to share their problems with us, we listened intently, and most importantly, we did our best. - Elise_______________________ I was given the job of triage, I worked at the front of the line while each patient told me and my interpreter what there symptoms and problems were. I then wrote it down and passed them off into the next room where medications were handed out or where they were assessed further. The amount of people coming up to us seemed endless and they spent hours waiting to be seen. Many young moms with vaginal infections, babies with worms, infected wounds, headaches and body pain. They hungry, dehydrated but still smiled.We did our best to provide medications and treat what we could but you almost feel defeated because most of the problems treated are only a temporary fix. The poverty and the camps here are unbelievable. The populations of people that still remain in these tent camps is endless. It is truly frustrating, you want to do so much but are so limited in your resources. It did feel good to know that we provided a small amount of relief for many people and that they were happy to see us. The children loved to get there picture taken and to them, this was the only way of life they know. I am angry that the corruption in here has kept the people of Haiti prisoners of poverty. -Cindy_______________________________________ This was first experience with such poverty.....this was a roller-coaster of emotions for me. The people were so gracious they appreciated the smallest kindness....I have to remember small successes and not be discouraged if we cant completely fix a problem. Cindy (USA)_________________________________________________ The poverty is devastating to see. It is amazing to think all that is taken for granted every single day when one has their most simplistic needs met. The people we have seen both yesterday and today have been very gracious for our help. They know the true meaning of humility and are thus able to express gratitude. I have came here to help and teach, however, I believe I will surely leave with a much greater lesson. ~Kayla_________________________________________________ We saw 200 hundred patients today, as I attempted to assess and treat these individuals, I could not help but feel slightly defeated at times. There is so much the Haitians need and so little we can give them. I have keep reminding myself, every little bit DOES help. - Fatima ____________________________________________ I am privileged to be a part of this team. They are organized and motivated. I felt that today was a good day. I enjoyed being in a role i never had an opportunity to be in. (Which is triage) This team has made me feel part of the group and we have shared many sadness together and laughter and i have only known them a short time. we will also remember our bird moth experience. Can't wait for what tomorrow holds. -Evie____________________________________________ Well, I think I am the last to comment on our day. Canadian Cindy and Evie have both be a great addition to our group. To talk about a tent city and then to walk in a tent city are two very different things. It is amazing to see how people have survived in these conditions and even more amazing that they are not sicker! Johanna and I also did exams. We saw lots of rashes, kids with worms, vaginal infections, eye infections, coughs, colds, just to mention a few. 200 plus patients in 5 hours is not too bad! We are running out of meds. It will be hard to get through the week. We need overnight FedX! Everyone is super tired tonight. We are currently hanging outside listening to LMFAO. Evie is entertaining us with a great dance! This is a wonderful group of hard working people. I know we will make a difference in some peoples lives this week. - Kerry.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are doing a great job. Remember that when you have so little it takes so "little" to make a huge difference! - Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so touched to read of your experience. Remember the greatest gift you bring is the time you have all taken to be of service and share your skills with those who need medical and emotional support. Bravo to you all! Marlys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every post I hear in your words what an experience like this does to you. I wish I could be like Scottie from Star Trek and beam you all that you need to help the children and mothers who are so vulnerable. It seems they are so thankful for all your loving care, given with song and compassion. What a team you are, kudos! Marlys

    ReplyDelete