Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 3- Covering buns in Haiti...

We covered some buns in Haiti today! We were a mobile underwear unit. The kids and mothers had a big smile when we gave them new undies. Thank you to all of our donors in the states!  We hosted another clinic today in the same tent city we visited yesterday. As we arrived, 30 people were already waiting to be seen. We estimate seeing about 220 people in 5 hours. Organization gets better everyday. We will be pros by the end of the week! Many of us have learned to speak and write some Creole words. One thing that has made me happy is to see that no one is starving. Many people are thin, but we have yet to see anyone wasting away. My most memorable patient was two, with an incredible bilateral eye infection. Had not opened his eyes in a week. When I pried his eyes open puss balls poured out! Needless to say he received many forms of antibiotics!  We ended the afternoon with some retail therapy shopping at Rebuild Globally for flip flops made out of car tires. Everything this group uses is re-purposed. If you are ever looking for a really great gift that supports and amazing group, go to; http://www.rebuildglobally.org/ Our group is going to a restaurant/ bar later tonight for some fun. We are lucky to have this time to decompress and be ready to treat the next tent city tomorrow. - Kerry.******************************* Kerry pretty much covered things, so I will only add a little bit.  Today was really rewarding for me as I was able to see immediate results from the therapies we provided.  I left with a sense of accomplishment.  The tire flip flop factory was wonderful; I am hoping we go back so I can spend some money!  Looking forward to a Prestige tonight... -Elise*************************** Today I was able to try my hand as a pharmacist! We treated a lot of the same complaints as yesterday; vaginal infections, worms in children, headaches and body-aches. However, we did have a few "interesting" treatments we tackled. Today's #1 was the removal of two extra digits (polydactyly). They did not have any bone structure, just skin and vessels. We snipped one from each hand of the 1.5 month old, who tolerated it without crying while drinking formula. The baby's mom passed away after the child's birth. Grandma was very pleased with our surgeons! Although we couldn't cure all, we were able to send everyone home with something tangible and hopefully some heartfelt compassion! It is amazing to feel what silence provokes because of the language barrier here. When I take 3 seconds to say "good luck," or "good bye" after handing them medication, there is a mutual understanding and connectedness that is felt, and it is awesome!  ~Kayla************************************** Today I examined people with Cindy, one of our nurse practitioners. Because I hope to sooner than later attend graduate school to be an N.P., it was a great shadow experience. I was reminded of how much I already know, and also connected a few more dots in terms of what questions to ask and how different diagnosis can initially present with similar symptoms.  I'm more comfortable now with our mission than I was the first day or two. As said above, we have our routine and organization down a little better. The group we have here is getting along so well. I believe this really contributes to our effort and outcome at our clinics.- Jenna______________________________________________ I have to "Thank" Evie for making us laugh twice in twelve hours, first the animated dance to I'm SEXY and I know it! This performance took place last night, as few of us sat in gazebo decompressing from the day. At that point, Evie shared her dance story and we insisted that she show us the dance. The second story was about the placenta and the microwave, due to hippa laws, if you want to know the story you must ask her. - Thanks Evie!! We can always use a good laugh. - Fatima______________________________ More Evie stories! At the end of the day a very very pregnant pushy lady snuck into clinic and wanted to know if she was pregnant. Due to language barrier, Evie thought she could use some lady soap as parting gift. Moments later, the lady returned the soap in a cup for of urine. This is when Evie thought an interpreter would be helpful. After clarification, the interpreter explain that the pregnant thought Evie was giving her a pregnancy test! Good times, still laughing!  Cindy From USA________________________________________________ Well today was great, our team is getting the hang of this and we saw over 200 people. The crowd got crazy a few times but our amazing interpreters kept everyone calm. We were more prepared and truly helped many sick people. Did a lot of safe sex education and was swarmed by kids when I pulled out the bubbles I wont do that again! haha but they all got crayons and pencils. Much love for Haiti and all the people I have met!! Canadian Cindy Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment