Saturday, October 29, 2011

Running the Safe House Clinic!

Today was a great day. We went to a safe house called KOFAVIV. KOKAVIV is an organisation that deals with rape victims and other gender based violence, they have support groups and also house women there too. We set up a clinic where we were the doctors, nurses, and pharmacists. We split into three groups: triage, examiner and pharmacy. We ended up seeing about 60 patients, three of them victims of rape. One was only 6 years old. The women we saw were so grateful for anything we could do to help them even if it was just multivitamins. It was an awesome experience.

Since I haven't updated for a few days I thought I would update on my hospital shift. I never thought I would do nursing that required counting drips. I had two kids and both were on 3 antibiotics all requiring estimating the drips so it would run over a certain amount of time. A few hours into my shift the cleaning lady was cleaning under my pt's crib and bumped the crib, causing it to break. The pt. fell but was caught centimeters from the floor. If that had happened in the US there definately would be a law suit to follow, not here. They were understandable shaken but the also know they are getting the best that is available and sometimes that is a broken crib. The doctor just said "that's to bad that his crib broke" (in a sympathetic tone not reprimanding tone). You do what you can here and that's the best. It is so rewarding here and would love to come again somethime!! Hope everyone is having a great week. Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment